· Research planning : Lay out a plan for R&D and others to invest in securing R&D manpower, research equipment and facilities
· Study and research on technological trends : study about technological trends for relevant industries and new ones, and look over research materials
· Technology roadmap : Make a plan to secure a technology phase-by-phase for the corporate business plan and for actions on annual based
· New technology development : Conduct technology developments on eco-friendliness, energy and new materials and take on assigned developments (state-owned or internally)
· Special projects : Work on developing a customized technology for customers or developing a new product
To decide whether to research and develop a product, the very first step is the market research to see what product is on-demand. In general, we collect a lot of comments and opinions on a planned research and development for a certain product as information about research and technology trends and customers is broken down in details for specific reviews. Then, they are discussed with CEOs and others from concerned parties during a daily meeting and a finalized concept for the product is proposed. As a next step, we make a specific plan and use an analytical program for virtual analysis on the conceptualized product while designing. Then, we try to see any shortcomings in it and make it up to avoid facing them before manufacturing a prototype of the product.
In the past, such vulnerability was identified only after the designed product was turned into a commercially available one and a test was done on it. But, today, we use the computer for early predictions and updates if necessary. Computer Aided Engineering or CAE for short helps minimize the amount of cost from possible failure at the development phases so that it can lead to saving time and reduce the cost as well. Then, we select parts, determine specifications and put a design on the conceived product to come up with a commercial one. Once specifications determined, we order necessary parts, manufacture pilots and design H/W for controlling panels. Also, we develop a software program to run the hardware. Once the both are completed, we put the product on a pilot test and then apply it to the product. This entire process up to creating a new product requires a lot of hard-working and we face a lot of errors in the way. So, when a customer says that he likes our products because they are really working well, I feel so rewarded.
· Planning for purchase: mid-long term purchasing planning, market search and pursuit of new partnerships
· Purchase management : Purchased items management, purchasing prices management, partners management, materials supply planning,
internal/external materials management and raw materials delivery management
· Inventory management : Establish an inventory management plan, spot goods management and warehouse management
· Outsourcing management : Establish a outsourcing plan and outsourced partners managements
In the purchasing process, what is the most important task is to purchase quality products at a reasonable price for Ehwha Glotech. One day, we purchased a rubber roll from a partner who is much bigger than our company and takes the biggest market share in this country. In this case, it is not easy to bring a price down since a company, like the partner, has very high product competitiveness. However, we were able to manage to bring the price down by 9% in the end of the negotiation where we kept appealing to them by emphasizing the importance of the rubber roll and a possible benefit that they could earn as they sell it at the price we wanted. In the beginning, it seemed very negative to do so due to the partner’s brand power and competitiveness. But, our perseverant efforts ended up making it possible and contributing to better profits of Ehwah Glotech. It was one of moments when I found the job really worthwhile.
· Production planning : Production schedule, labor and cost management
· Process management : process designing, drawings, process in progress and transportation management
· Installation management : Installation, commissioning and on-site installation management
· Quality management : Activities for improvements, quality inspection, process improvements
· Factory management : Production facilities, metal molds & tools management and investment considerations to facility
Even though I have worked at this team for a long time, I still feel everyday anew. Unlike a team that I used to work with, Everyday was full of issues to address since I started to work side by side people in the field. So, to ensure to make flawless products, I have worked so hard with my colleagues day and night. Once a problem was found, we put our heads together to get down to the bottom of it, come up with a solution to it and record it. In this way, a systematic pattern began to take shape specifically, making everyone feel rewarded. Seeing a complete product being packaged and ready to be shipped to customers is like what a mother feels when she lets her daughter leave for marriage. But, I do still remain mind-boggled, like wouldn’t it get in trouble after being delivered to a customer?, would it wok well?, would he like it or something like that. But, once I realize that the product works well and does its part of generating profits for our partner, it cannot be better than this. This is how I found my job rewarding.
· Sales strategy : Market analysis, measures for negotiations with agents and marketing activities
· Activities for purchase order : Existing partners management, looking for new ones, quotation and technical Specification provisions, consulting and purchase order
· Promotion : Corporate promotion, new product introduction and customer inviting event
· Support : Sales, project and payment management
To people, the biggest reward to sales is a contract signed. But it would be recognition from customers to our product in my opinion. My major responsibility is to look for a customer who could need it and generate bigger profits with it, promote it to him and encourage him to sign a contract to buy it. A relative price range per unit is expensive so it is rare to reach the moment at once. Therefore, I have to visit to his office often to promote Ehwha Glotech and explain our own advantages and differentiated value found only in our product. In the meantime, I keep working on a solution better letting the company know what he needs and maximizing value for him. Explaining information to him, I try my best to make him feel what I feel about it. Such efforts are a steppingstone towards signing a contract, supplying the project and later hearing that “thank you so much for this product”. I find my efforts paid off when the last one is heard.
· Sales support : Promotion planning, customers/agents management and analysis on purchase orders and information provisions about other competitors
· Purchase order management : Shipment, Export, follow-ups after being shipped out
· Bonds management : Sales, payment calculation/management
· Statistical information management : Statistical figures management
· Corporate promotion : CI/BI, promotion planning for company/products, operating it
We participate in many exhibitions in order to let people know our products. Every time when we do so, many companies also do the same thing as they showcase their own products. But, we do our best to help people recognize the excellence found in ours. We cannot help but do work day and night, doing things, like planning how to promote, design a booth and preparing brochures and taking a look at the previous occasions to learn from them in a month-long process of preparing things before an exhibition. We do make every possible effort to promote our products to every single person visiting to our booth. When they are surprised at seeing the quality and significance in our products and we draw much attention from a ton of public media, I am really excited and thrilled. I am really proud of what I did for the entirety as well. Also, when some of them sign to purchase our product, I become more aware of the importance of our role while feeling a bit more weight on my shoulders.
· Customer service overseas : Ready for shipment, shipment/departure
· Customer service at home : Receipt, shipment, processing and uncollected payment management
· Calculations management : Service delivery management by a partner and made-improvements management
· Customer service improvements : Travel to abroad for customer services and engineer education
When people around the world face a problem with our product while using it, they first contact the Customer Support Team. The most important key to our team is to respond fast enough to them. A while ago, we got a contact from the U.S and another contact from the Sales Team for support. It was a night in Korea while the customer from the foreign country was at work. If a found problem was not fixed immediately, it might have caused huge damage to them. Out of sense of responsibility, I rushed to the office at almost midnight to see the problem and check needed technical support database. As guided, the customer somewhat managed to solve it. They appreciated for our support as they recognized that we did support them even if it was out of working hours. Whenever I do have this kind of situation, I feel so proud of what I do with a bit more responsibility.
· HRM : Recruitment, evaluations/rewards and retirement management
· HRD : Education planning, education operation and capacity-building support
· Legal/labor affairs : Legal reviews, attendance, wage for production workers and military service benefits management
· General affairs : Asset management, approval/permit, record keeping, secretary responsibilities and other jobs ordered from higher-ups
· Environment/safety : Healthcare, industrial insurance, fire protection, environment protection and security
Generally speaking, picking up a right person fitting into each different job in this organization is one of the most important matters in my opinion. We first present a job offer, review a ton of resumes very carefully and check whether an applicant is suited for a job during the job interview while pondering what else is needed to find out the right person. However, it is still not easy to bring in a talent who could satisfy all parties, including the candidate himself. But, sometimes, we are proud of ourselves and feel more weight on our shoulders when we hear from other employees saying “this new one is really good. You have an eye for him.”, or he is doing pretty well, making himself comfortable at work after months’ long struggle, that is the moment that I feel rewarded.
Educating members has become all the more important to enhance their professionalism than ever before. But, I was burdened with preparing a plan for the education program by the job level given that I was not experienced in doing so. In particular, I had no idea about what I drafted was really necessary to the field or was practicable. However, doing a poll on employees with interviews for a month helped me turn such worry into confidence. Feedback from them about what they need to grow their expertise and would like to learn was an opportunity for me to learn what I should and what plan I should make. When people who participated in my programs say, “it was really helpful. Thank you.”, I was greatly delighted. Such experience helped me realize that I should be the first to approach them and listen to them. Also, it served to improve myself in many ways.
· Planning and management : Planning, bonds management and closing
· Closing : Accounting, asset and closed settlement management
· Taxation : Tax filing, local income tax filing and financial statements audit
· Internal process : Cash-flow process management
· ERP : Accounting, taxation, fixed assets and other data management
We are tasked with providing information upon the request from executives, relevant parties and others from outside. That information should be precise enough to meet their requirements and we need to rightly respond to their extra request by giving them needed information in an appropriate manner. We have a lot of matters to address daily, weekly and monthly. In addition, when the company does work on a big project, we have to form a task force and run it. On this system, we were able to avoid a potential risk that would otherwise damage us unless we did analyze financial information of a project participant and then provide it to concerned parties. It was really a close-call. On the other hand, it was really thrilling. Many aspects of our job require high-level expertise and are independently addressed. But, it becomes always true that I feel so good whenever we are able to cooperate with others as we all try to communicate and care each other.
· Strategic planning : Domestic and international business environments and trends analysis, securing a new engine for further growth, business planning and strategy
· Business management : Performance reports, cost estimating, plans for management and performance management(KPI and MBO)
· Organizational culture : Better working environment, value definition and spreading it inside the group
· Process improvement : More efficient working patterns, internal diagnosis and in-house consulting
Approaching the end of year every year, I analyze BEP to make a plan for production and sales and reanalyze it again if necessary, depending on a situation at home and abroad. Early on, I found it inefficient whenever I had to do the same task over again and again. Even, little difference in predictions out of monthly-analysis made me think that it was completely unnecessary. And seeing different figures from previously made ones, I assumed that it was never possible to get a prediction close to the actual one, let alone perfect match, no matter how many variables were in consideration. However, after repetitively doing the job a couple of times, more variables to be viewed were found with an analysis method being more sophisticated over time. So, there have been a growing number of cases where those estimated figures match the actually folded ones after two to three month-long struggle. Whenever I see almost close to perfect match, I find the task really worth doing since I seem to create a BEP helpful in making and selling a product that would definitely meet the needs of customers.
· Design : Drawing, program, automation designs and drawings standardization
· Development : New product development, quality and performance improvements and the developments of machine and IT being combined (TMS)
· Support : Sales, services, production technical support and remote support
Since Ehwha Glotech became the first to develop an automated system 10 years ago, we continue to improve customer experience with an automated system as it is updated on continuous basis. I am deeply proud of the system. This is because it was developed with in-house technology. Going forwards, we spearhead the paradigm, “Industry 4.0” as we became the first in this country to develop TMS. As a result of such efforts, customers give a lot of credits to Ehwha Glotech for its systems. It makes me so proud of being part of this company and doing something contributable to the company.
· Design : Design for production and drawings standardization
· Development : New product developments and localizing sophisticated industrial equipment
· Improvement : Better quality and stabilization
· Support : Sales, customer, production and purchase support
Major responsibility is not only about designing a new product. We also engage in demonstrating it in front of audience and doing follow-up measures when a problem occurs with the product. So, we do have a bit more attachment and responsibility towards it than others. Design process includes a customizing one to meet the needs of customers as the requirements differ from customer to another in features and specifications. Sometimes, we have to stay up all night over designing since it is not easy to customize a product for their satisfactions. But, once a designed product is born as a real one, passes a commissioning test and begins to be mass-churned out from a factory, nobody would be able to imagine how thrilled I am.